Berkeley eProtocol IACUC
Note: Automated eProtocol notification emails are erroneously being flagged as Spam. Our IT department is working to resolve this issue. In the meantime, please be sure to check your Spam Folder for notification emails and mark any such emails as “Not Spam.”
OACU/ACUC is transitioning from a paper-based protocol submission and review process to a web-based system called Berkeley eProtocol in August 2014. This is the same system that has been in use by the UCB Office for Protection of Human Subjects (OPHS) since 2009. Within eProtocol, the two different protocol systems are designated as eProtocol IACUC (animals) and eProtocol IRB (humans subjects).
How does this impact you?
- Effective July, 2014, all new protocols must be submitted online via eProtocol.
- eProtocol will be available for submissions starting August 5, 2014.
- New submission received prior to August 25, 2014, will be reviewed at the October 8th ACUC meeting. See the ACUC web site for submission deadlines.
- Protocols due for their de novo (three-year) review in October 2014 must be submitted online via eProtocol.
- Revisions to existing “electronic” protocols (“eProtocols”) will be made using the eProtocol system.
- Annual reviews and revisions to existing “paper” protocols can continue to use the paper-based process up until the protocol’s de novo submission.
- Investigators may opt to submit a revision as a new electronic eProtocol and they are strongly encouraged to contact the OACU Director at firstname.lastname@example.org regarding this possibility.
Tips for success:
- Use Mozilla Firefox (for PC) or Safari (for Mac) as your web browser
- Make sure your browser’s pop-up blocker is turned off
- Do not use your browser’s back and forward arrows; use eProtocol navigation links instead
- Only one person can edit a protocol at one time
- Sign out when finished and close your browser
- Need help? See the ACUC eProtocol Investigator Quick Guides and FAQs
- Refer to the ACUC web site for information on the protocol review process and ACUC meeting and deadline calendars.
- If you have any questions or need assistance, please call OACU at 510-642-8855 and we will be happy to help.
To access the system, click on the Berkeley eProtocol icon at the bottom of this page and log in with your CalNet ID and passphrase.
Berkeley eProtocol IACUC - Sample Form
In eProtocol, one form is used for new applications to conduct either research or teaching using live vertebrate animals. As a tool to allow investigators to see the questions in the Protocol Information section (the main section of each form) and to work on addressing these questions offline, we have created the sample form below.
This is a sample document only and will NOT be accepted in place of an online submission.
Click on the link below and log in with your CalNet ID. Note: Berkeley eProtocol uses CalNet authentication. Persons not affiliated with UC Berkeley must be entered in the Human Resources Management System and obtain a CalNet ID to access Berkeley eProtocol. Please contact the OACU office at 510-641-8855 for more information.